There may be some cases when a user needs to disable antivirus protection for a while. Sometimes people do it to install new programs and apps, to unlock some blocked sites, etc. Regardless of the reason, there is no need to delete the antivirus software completely. One may simply turn it off for a while. Different programs have their peculiarities within this process. Today, we’ll discuss how to turn off Avast temporarily. Before we start, you should remember that by turning it off, you’ll make the device vulnerable to all kinds of threats.
The main peculiarity of turning off Avast
In case you decide to disable the program, you’ll be pleased to know that Avast products offer you several possibilities. A user may turn off the program completely or disable certain shields only. The latter will still secure some protection. So, before you do it one way or the other, make sure you won’t face any threats or viruses.
A step-by-step guide on how to disable Avast temporarily
Based on the peculiarity above, there will be several methods. First of all, let’s see how to turn Avast off completely:
- Find Avast icon, right-click on it and choose Avast shields control. This tab will let you disable the software for 10 minutes, 1 hour, until PC restart or permanently. You may pick the most suitable timeframe. Remember that you’ll be able to turn it back on whenever you want.
- Verify your action by clicking on Yes. Now the programs’ shields are off for as long as you’ve chosen. Avast will prompt you when to agree to the action.
- To check the result, you may open the main interface of the antivirus. It’ll say “All the shields are off”. Here you can turn it on again by clicking on Resolve. It takes a few seconds and your PC gets protection again.
If you want to turn off a specific shield, the process is entirely different:
- Start by launching Avast and choosing the Protection module. As a rule, it’s on the left of the screen with other modules.
- Here you’ll see the section with Core Shields. Choose this section to access the list of shields you can adjust.
- You may access the same feature using the settings and choosing components. It’ll also lead you to this window.
- Pick a shield or several of them and you’ll see the four options on how long you can disable them. They coincide with the previous situation and let you turn the shields off for 10 minutes, 1 hour, until PC restart or permanently.
- After you verify the action, you’ll see the window that says File Shield is now off. Whenever you need it on, you can also click on the button “turn On” under the message or wait when the setup time limit expires.
As you see, Avast is very user-friendly. It doesn’t only offer several ways to turn off the protection shields but has a very simple way to reach this goal. One can easily turn off one, two or all shields for as long as he wants. However, it’s important to remember that when Avast is off, the device is vulnerable. Viruses and malware can bring lots of trouble.
The methods described above will work with any Avast Antivirus you’ve got. It can be Avast Antivirus Pro, Avast Ultimate, Avast Internet Security or Avast Premier. They all have the same paths to the core shields.
In case turning off the shields doesn’t work for you, it’s also possible to uninstall the software completely and then install it again. The process is equally simple and straightforward.